Barrens Hut 12-01-13
Barrons Hut 31-12-05
Barrons Hut 3-10-05
Barrons Hut 14-1-06
Barrons Hut 6-5-06
Barrons Hut 08-07-06
Barrons Hut 18-11-06
Barrons Hut 23-12-06
Barrons Hut 20-01-07
Barrons Hut 03-02-07
Barrons Hut 17-03-07
Barrons Hut 15-09-07
Barrons Hut 29-09-07
Barrons Hut 01-12-07
Barrons Hut 12-01-08
Barrons Hut 16-03-08
Barrens Hut 05-07-08
Barrens Hut 14-09-08
Barrens Hut 27-12-08
Barrens Hut 28-02-09
Barrens Hut 02-05-09
Barrens Hut 27-02-10
Barrens Hut 18-09-10
Barrens Hut 12-03-11
The Split 21-05-11
Barrens Hut 02-07-11
Barrens Hut 30-07-11
Barrens Hut 03-12-11
Barrens Hut 24-12-11
The Split 14-01-12
Barrens Hut 28-07-12
Barrens Hut 12-01-13
Barrens Hut 13-07-13
Barrens Hut 20-07-13
Barrens Hut 08-02-14
Barrens Hut 15-11-14
The Split 10-01-15


Haven't been to Barrens since July (at least with my camera) and with flat seas and no wind Jenny, Wayne Heinz and I head over to Barrens.  Jenny has not dived Barrens before so it was going to be good.  The anchor landed on top of the reef near the end of the split.  Jen and I were first down and I secured the anchor and attached the pony to the anchor.  I don't usually take a pony but sometimes in the excitement Jen gets a bit low on air so it's a good safety measure.

We headed down first going through the tunnel where we saw a lovely cuttle.  Then to the cave where the usual bastard trumpeters were hanging out.  Nothing special in the cave so through it and out the end, then back to the wall heading down to the chimney.  In we go and nicely up and out and Jen does it well. Then we head back along the top of the ref passing the netting that is sitting amongst the rocks.  Lots of Mowong  and another nice cuttle there.

Back at the split we check out a bunch of nudies before collecting the pony which we didn't use and heading back up.

It was only during our surface interval that I realised how horribly wrong it could have gone. We had tied up beside Mark and Ray who were moored at Gibbon in Mark's yacht. I decided to take the opportunity while everyone was on board the yacht to change our cylinders over ready for a second dive.  When I looked at the tags on the cylinders Jen's and mine were both air.  We had done the dive with our computer's set on 36%.  First decision was that we would not dive again that day.

How could this happen?  I keep Nitrox cylinders in a separate row to the air ones.  I must have grabbed 3 air, not 3 nitrox cylinders.  I did not check then when I put them in the car.  Wayne put the BCDs on the cylinders so I did not check the tags.  I was sure they were 36%.  But they weren't.  By calculation we would have gone 5 mins into deco, We had done a 1 minute deep stop at 12m and then 4 minutes at 5m before ascending.  Thankfully neither have had any reaction to this.  Just shows how complacency can slip in and how things can go wrong.



This site was last updated 12/01/13